Monday, November 06, 2006
The Memorial
On Saturday, I attended the memorial service for Linda. Most of the crowd were people I was not familiar with. Most come from a different socio-economic lifestyle than I. We probably do not have a lot in common - at least on the surface. But one thing we did have in common. We had all been touched by Linda's life. At one point in the service, we were offered the opportunity to speak about Linda if we wanted to. I waited for some of the others to say what they wanted and then took my turn. I told how I had been blessed to come to know Linda. How every time I saw her she had a smile and a hug for me. Pretty much the same story everyone else told. Many of those there had met Linda through riding CityLink. They all spoke the same story. They will miss her hugs. I told my daughter about this. She listened and then said thoughtfully - "She had a ministry." Indeed she did.
For most of my life, I have not been close to the people who have been less fortunate than I. Most churches I have attended just don't have many members from that part of society. We have missed out on a lot. I am grateful that our church leaders saw fit to bring someone to our ministry with an outreach to the community around us. My life has been richer for it. I think I'm getting closer to being what God wants us to be. Closer to being what I've always felt I needed to be. Thank God for that.
For most of my life, I have not been close to the people who have been less fortunate than I. Most churches I have attended just don't have many members from that part of society. We have missed out on a lot. I am grateful that our church leaders saw fit to bring someone to our ministry with an outreach to the community around us. My life has been richer for it. I think I'm getting closer to being what God wants us to be. Closer to being what I've always felt I needed to be. Thank God for that.