Sunday, April 16, 2006
Would he even be welcome at the table?
Her husband came to her several months ago, and confessed he had been sexually abusing children. I don't know all the time frames but at some point after that, he turned himself in to local authorities and has been in jail since sometime before Thanksgiving.
She teaches in a local prison. They were members of the Bible class I had attended for several years. He was pursing a degree at a local Christian university.
I have been praying for them for quite a while and always give her a hug when I see her at church. She has found a good support group there, and didn't seem to need much more from me. I took the time to drop her a card this week.
Last Friday morning, Good Friday, I took a day off from work. I turned the television on for a while, and there it was, at every break for local news - "local man indicted on four counts of sexual abuse of a child" - complete with his picture. The accompanying information wasn't totally accurate, but who would know that? And that's just the way the media is. I turned off the TV, and waited until I felt sure she would be awake. As soon as she picked up the phone, before I even said anything, she said, "thank you for calling." She mentioned the card, and said it had come on a particularly bad day, and really meant a lot. (Did I mention that I had been asking God to use me?)
We talked awhile and she told me how she feared for her safety should the press decide to focus on her during the sentencing. Would her picture end up on TV and would some of the inmates she teaches see her? Would she be in danger at work? Lots of potentials there.
And, as before, we discussed more of the long term damage from all this. The damage to the marriage, the damage to the children and families of the victims, the damage to her husband.
Today she told me he had begun receiving death threats. This man, who I, and most anyone who knew him, would have told you could never have hurt a child, did indeed hurt several children. Now he lives in fear for his own life.
Father, we don't even begin to know how to pray in this situation. We know you love Ed and we know he is sorry for what he has done. But we know full well that actions have consequences, and we don't even know what to ask when he comes before this judge. God, I just ask that you be there every step of the way, that you bring peace and healing to all those in this tragedy. May there be forgiveness in every one, and may every one know that you are the giver of peace and forgiveness. Walk beside my friends. Carry them when they cannot find their way. Never let us underestimate the power of a spoken word or a phone call. Let me always be aware of those around me who are in need, and point me to places where I can serve. Amen.
"Does Jesus care when my heart is pained too deeply for mirth and song; As the burdens press, and the cares distress, And the way grows weary and long? Does Jesus care when I've tried and failed to resist some temptation strong; When for my deep grief I find no relief, Tho' my tears flow all the night long?
O yes, He cares; I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; When the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares."
She teaches in a local prison. They were members of the Bible class I had attended for several years. He was pursing a degree at a local Christian university.
I have been praying for them for quite a while and always give her a hug when I see her at church. She has found a good support group there, and didn't seem to need much more from me. I took the time to drop her a card this week.
Last Friday morning, Good Friday, I took a day off from work. I turned the television on for a while, and there it was, at every break for local news - "local man indicted on four counts of sexual abuse of a child" - complete with his picture. The accompanying information wasn't totally accurate, but who would know that? And that's just the way the media is. I turned off the TV, and waited until I felt sure she would be awake. As soon as she picked up the phone, before I even said anything, she said, "thank you for calling." She mentioned the card, and said it had come on a particularly bad day, and really meant a lot. (Did I mention that I had been asking God to use me?)
We talked awhile and she told me how she feared for her safety should the press decide to focus on her during the sentencing. Would her picture end up on TV and would some of the inmates she teaches see her? Would she be in danger at work? Lots of potentials there.
And, as before, we discussed more of the long term damage from all this. The damage to the marriage, the damage to the children and families of the victims, the damage to her husband.
Today she told me he had begun receiving death threats. This man, who I, and most anyone who knew him, would have told you could never have hurt a child, did indeed hurt several children. Now he lives in fear for his own life.
Father, we don't even begin to know how to pray in this situation. We know you love Ed and we know he is sorry for what he has done. But we know full well that actions have consequences, and we don't even know what to ask when he comes before this judge. God, I just ask that you be there every step of the way, that you bring peace and healing to all those in this tragedy. May there be forgiveness in every one, and may every one know that you are the giver of peace and forgiveness. Walk beside my friends. Carry them when they cannot find their way. Never let us underestimate the power of a spoken word or a phone call. Let me always be aware of those around me who are in need, and point me to places where I can serve. Amen.
"Does Jesus care when my heart is pained too deeply for mirth and song; As the burdens press, and the cares distress, And the way grows weary and long? Does Jesus care when I've tried and failed to resist some temptation strong; When for my deep grief I find no relief, Tho' my tears flow all the night long?
O yes, He cares; I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; When the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares."