Saturday, April 15, 2006
Meeting at the Table
"Lord, help me to get outside myself and to see the needs of others. Lead me to someone who needs me."
This had been my prayer.
When she first moved to Abilene a couple of years ago, I found that we both had a similar self-employment interest. Knowing that she had recently lost her salaried job, I wanted to let her know about our training nights and invited her to go with me. To my surprise, I learned she had become inactive in that interest and was interested in knowing how to get back into the opportunity. We discussed getting together but she was very busy right then, and said get back with her in a couple of weeks. The weeks dragged on, and we swapped phone calls, made appointments and rescheduled. Finally, it came down to she could get with me on Wednesday night. Could I come to her house? Normally, Wednesday night is reserved for church. It takes a lot for me to pass up the time at Oasis. But, because of the aloneness I have been feeling lately, especially in that group, I agreed to meet her.
Since I had come there for a business purpose, I got right down to business. But it didn't take very long for me to realize that there was a lot going on besides business. Funny how God does that. I could see the hurt and sense a problem, and after a little hesitation (because I'm somewhat a "don't get involved unless they ask you" kind of person) I jumped right into the middle of her pain. Directly, but I hope kindly. Tears flowed as she said, "Thank you, thank you. No one has spoken to me like that since I have moved here."
We talked and cried and shared our pain. And now we know that we are not alone. We have each other.
"Be with me, Lord - I cannot live without Thee. I dare not try to take one step alone. I cannot bear the loads of life unaided. I need they strength to lean myself upon."
Father, today, cover my sister and her family with your loving care and grace. Heap upon them abundant blessings beyond all belief. Help her find the job she needs for them to be able to remain in their home. Make it a job with hours that will allow her the time she needs to rest and have time to spend alone with you. Thank you for the wonderful witness of forgiveness she is to me. Bless her through some tough times ahead. Give her the inner resources to get through each minute, leaning always on your love. Bring inner peace and healing. In all things, I give you praise and Glory for your unfailing love and care. Amen.
This had been my prayer.
When she first moved to Abilene a couple of years ago, I found that we both had a similar self-employment interest. Knowing that she had recently lost her salaried job, I wanted to let her know about our training nights and invited her to go with me. To my surprise, I learned she had become inactive in that interest and was interested in knowing how to get back into the opportunity. We discussed getting together but she was very busy right then, and said get back with her in a couple of weeks. The weeks dragged on, and we swapped phone calls, made appointments and rescheduled. Finally, it came down to she could get with me on Wednesday night. Could I come to her house? Normally, Wednesday night is reserved for church. It takes a lot for me to pass up the time at Oasis. But, because of the aloneness I have been feeling lately, especially in that group, I agreed to meet her.
Since I had come there for a business purpose, I got right down to business. But it didn't take very long for me to realize that there was a lot going on besides business. Funny how God does that. I could see the hurt and sense a problem, and after a little hesitation (because I'm somewhat a "don't get involved unless they ask you" kind of person) I jumped right into the middle of her pain. Directly, but I hope kindly. Tears flowed as she said, "Thank you, thank you. No one has spoken to me like that since I have moved here."
We talked and cried and shared our pain. And now we know that we are not alone. We have each other.
"Be with me, Lord - I cannot live without Thee. I dare not try to take one step alone. I cannot bear the loads of life unaided. I need they strength to lean myself upon."
Father, today, cover my sister and her family with your loving care and grace. Heap upon them abundant blessings beyond all belief. Help her find the job she needs for them to be able to remain in their home. Make it a job with hours that will allow her the time she needs to rest and have time to spend alone with you. Thank you for the wonderful witness of forgiveness she is to me. Bless her through some tough times ahead. Give her the inner resources to get through each minute, leaning always on your love. Bring inner peace and healing. In all things, I give you praise and Glory for your unfailing love and care. Amen.